11 Tips For Creating And Maintaining Meaningful Relationships
Some people seem to attract others like moths to a flame. Some of us struggle to attract and keep people in our social circle. There are many simple tips that anyone can implement to increase the number of meaningful relationships they enjoy in life.
By ensuring that people feel good in your presence and maintaining a positive attitude, you’ve already won half the battle.
Create and maintain meaningful relationships:
1. Make people feel like a million bucks. The way people feel about you is a reflection of how you make them feel. If someone feels interesting, confident and capable when you’re around, they’re going to like you. If they feel insignificant, unintelligent and anxious around you, the opposite occurs.
Ask yourself why you like the people you like. Then ask yourself why you dislike the people you dislike. You can learn a lot this way.
2. Be a great listener. One of the simplest ways to make others feel important is to give them your full attention. Keep your focus on the other person and listen to the best of your ability.
3. Be reliable. We treasure those we can count on. Be on time. Keep your word. If you say you’re going to do something, do it. Be that person that we all respect.
4. Maintain regular communication. Relationships fall apart without regular communication. The level of comfort and familiarity drop over time if you go too long without speaking to each other. At least once a month, pick up the phone and maintain contact. It can be work, but the rewards are worth the effort.
5. Be open. Most of the communication that occurs between people is boring and frivolous. Forget about the weather as a topic. Share something interesting and encourage the other person to do the same.
6. Find mutual ground. Determine what you have in common and put your energy into that. You might only have 5% in common with someone else, but that can be enough to build a strong and meaningful friendship. Put 100% of your effort into that 5%.