After a breakup, your friends may give you conflicting advice. Some will warn you about the dangers of rebound relationships. Others will urge you to start dating again.
Studies suggest that there’s little harm in making a new connection quickly if you had a healthy relationship with your former partner. On the other hand, if you have dating patterns you want to change, taking some time off is usually the smarter choice.
Invest in yourself so you can find the love you deserve. Consider these tips for what to do while you’re between relationships.
Benefits of Taking Time Off Between Relationships:
1. Clarify your priorities. Being single gives you an opportunity to figure out what you really want from a relationship. Identify the qualities that are most important to you, such as emotional intelligence and kindness. Be willing to compromise on the nonessentials.
2. Move forward. You may need to deal with past experiences that are still affecting your current behavior. Do you see a pattern of similar issues causing conflicts with different partners?
3. Increase your resources. Dealing with an unhappy relationship uses up much of your time and energy. Once you recover from the initial sting of breaking up, you’ll probably have a greater capacity for overcoming your personal challenges.
4. Recognize your options. It’s natural to be attracted to familiar things. Taking a break enables you to explore your alternatives.
5. Appreciate solitude. Are you uncomfortable with being single? Learning to enjoy your own company will help you to be patient until you find a connection that serves your well-being.
Ideas For What To Do Between Relationships:
1. Connect with loved ones. Were you spending so much time with your partner that you were neglecting your family and friends? Share your feelings and ask them for the support you need to get back on track.
2. Pursue your interests. Hobbies enrich your life and might make you appear more…